HomeMedicalCompassionate CareSummary

1.1. Summary

There are a few days in the CA that allow you to access compassionate leave ...it is only 3 paid days (Only)...to access it you would need a medical note from one of your ill family member's doctors, listing their exact illness and you are the primary caregiver right now.   Email this to the Superintendent of HR - Michael Gray - michael.gray@ycdsb.ca for this request
You could access a few days using 9.06a (2 Days) (Caring for an ill family member), MOU Days (either 3 or 4) - (Caring for an Ill family member and finally 9.06 - Personal Days (either 1 or 2)
I can't see into your balances, so you would need to go check them.  You apply using the Tch12a - Special Leave Form (https://www.yctoecta.com/usercontent/Resources/Board%20Reports//TCH12A_Form_2018-19.pdf)
For Longer Leaves
You would need to access the Compassionate Care/Family Caregiver leave offers through the government of Canada (more info here https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/caregiving.html).  If you are approved for the leave you must notify the board.
The Collective Agreement also references ONLY Family Medical Leave or Critical Illness Leave.  See below
15.1 Family Medical Leave or Critical Illness Leave
15.1.1 Family Medical Leave or Critical Illness Leave granted to a teacher
under this Article shall be in accordance with the provisions of the
Employment Standards Act, as amended.

15.1.2 The teacher will provide to the employer such evidence as necessary
to prove entitlement under the ESA.

15.1.3 A teacher contemplating taking such leave(s) shall notify the
employer of the intended date the leave is to begin and the
anticipated date of return to active employment.

15.1.4 Seniority and experience continue to accrue during such leave(s).

15.1.5 Where a teacher is on such leave(s), the Employer shall continue to
pay its share of the benefit premiums, where applicable. To
maintain participation and coverage under the Collective Agreement,
the teacher must agree to provide for payment for the teacher’s
share of the benefit premiums, where applicable.

15.1.6 In order to receive pay for such leaves, a teacher must access
Employment Insurance and the Supplemental Employment Benefit
(SEB) in accordance with 15.1.7 to 15.1.10, if allowable by
legislation. An employee who is eligible for E.I. is not entitled to
benefits under a school board’s sick leave and short term leave and
disability plan.

Supplemental Employment Benefits (SEB)
15.1.7 The Employer shall provide for permanent teachers who access such
leaves, a SEB plan to top up their E.I. Benefits. The permanent
teacher who is eligible for such leave shall receive 100% salary for a
period not to exceed eight (8) weeks provided the period falls within
the school year and during a period for which the permanent teacher
would normally be paid. The SEB Plan pay will be the difference 
between the gross amount the teacher receives from E.I. and their
regular gross pay.

15.1.8 Long Term Occasional Teachers with an assignment of at least
ninety-seven (97) school days in length shall also be eligible for the
SEB plan with the length of the benefit limited by the term of the

15.1.9 SEB payments are available only to supplement E.I. benefits during
the absence period as specified in this plan.
15.1.10 The teacher must provide the Board with proof that he/she has
applied for and is in receipt of employment insurance benefits in
accordance with the Employment Insurance Act, as amended, before
SEB is payable.
Here are the eligible plans (according to the GC website):

The 3 types of caregiving benefits


The three types of caregiving benefits
Benefit name Maximum weeks payable Who you are providing care to 
Family caregiver benefit for children up to 35 weeks A critically ill or injured person under 18
Family caregiver benefit for adults up to 15 weeks A critically ill or injured person 18 or over
Compassionate care benefits up to 26 weeks A person of any age who requires end-of-life care
  To apply you need to contact the government directly 1-800 OCANADA or  https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/caregiving/apply.html 
Email the Superintendent of HR - michael.gray@ycdsb.ca once you have this submitted to get the top-up in place (they will need confirmation that you are approved).


Knowledge Tags

This page was: Helpful | Not Helpful